Because we all like a new recipe sometimes...

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas

Disclaimer: I haven't made these myself. But I had the ones my sister-in-law made for dinner tonight and they were fantastic. I asked her for the recipe and I thought I'd just post it directly here.

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
3 slices bacon
2 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 c. salsa or picante sauce
1 can (16 oz.) black beans (the recipe says not to drain them, but I would drain them and then add some water)
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sliced green onions
12 flour tortillas (soft taco size)
1 1/2 c. shredded monterey jack or mexican blend cheese

Toppings:
Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, green onions, and avocado slices

Cut chicken into short, thin strips. Cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towel, crumble. Pour off all but a couple tablespoons bacon drippings, cook and stir chicken and garlic in drippings until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in 1/2 c. salsa, black beans, red pepper, cumin, and salt. Simmer until thickened, 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in green onions and reserved bacon. Spoon heaping 1/4 c. bean mixture down center of each tortilla, top with about a tablespoon of cheese. Roll up, place seam side down on lightly greased 13x9 baking dish. Spoon remaining 1 c. salsa evenly over enchiladas. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Top with remaining cheese, return to oven for about 3 minutes. Top as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment