Because we all like a new recipe sometimes...

Monday, March 14, 2011

Greek Spinach-Pasta Salad with Feta and Beans


I pulled this recipe from the February issue of Better Homes & Gardens. (I "borrowed" their photo, too.) It is fantastic! I had it for lunch today and came away feeling super nourished and taste-bud-satisfied.

1 5-to-6 oz. pkg. fresh baby spinach
1 15 oz. can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), snipped
2 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced (or crushed)
1 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
2 Tbsp. lemon juice (freshly squeezed is especially good)
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. snipped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp. dried)
1 Tbsp. snipped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp. dried)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt or sea salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
12 oz. dried cavatappi (also called cellentani) or farfalle pasta
Shaved Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese

1. In a large serving bowl combine spinach, beans, cheese, tomatoes, onions, garlic, lemon peel and juice, oil, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover, let stand at room temperature while cooking pasta or up to 2 hours; stir occasionally.

2. Shortly before serving, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Toss cooked pasta and pasta water with spinach salad mixture. Serve warm or at room temperature. Top with shaved Parmesan cheese. makes 6 (2-cup) main-dish servings.

*My modifications:

I mixed the garlic, lemon peel and juice, oil, herbs, salt and pepper together as a vinaigrette. Once the pasta was cooked, I rinsed it with cold water and omitted the cooking water, then combined the remaining ingredients and tossed it all together with the vinaigrette. It looks like this recipe was intended to be a warm salad but the way I did it, it was a cold salad. I may try it as written sometime, it looks great that way too.

Oh, and I skipped the shaved Parmesan. It was fine without it.


3 comments:

  1. Did you use oil packed sun dried tomatoes? The recipe says no, but that's what I (and I think you) usually have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up dried ones and used them here. I actually think it would make a difference, but I didn't try the oil packed ones so I can't say for sure.

    ReplyDelete